—n. 1. any of the heavenly bodies, except the moon, appearing as fixed luminous points in the sky at night.
2. Astron.any of the large, self-luminous, heavenly bodies, as the sun, Polaris, etc.
3. any heavenly body.
4. Astrol.a heavenly body, esp. a planet, considered as influencing humankind and events.
5. a person's destiny, fortune, temperament, etc., regarded as influenced and determined by the stars.
6. a conventionalized figure usually having five or six points radiating from or disposed about a center.
7. this figure used as an ornament, award, badge, mark of excellence, etc.: The movie was awarded three stars. 8. Jewelry. a. a gem having the star cut.
b. the asterism in a crystal or a gemstone, as in a star sapphire.
c. a crystal or a gemstone having such asterism.
d. See star facet. 9. Print.an asterisk.
10. a person who is celebrated or distinguished in some art, profession, or other field.
11. a prominent actor, singer, or the like, esp. one who plays the leading role in a performance.
12. U.S. Mil.See battle star. 13. U.S. Navy. a. a gold or bronze star worn on the ribbon of a decoration or medal to represent a second or subsequent award of the same decoration or medal.
b. a silver star worn in place of five gold or bronze stars.
14. a white spot on the forehead of a horse.
15. Heraldry. a. a mullet.
16. make someone see stars, to deal someone a severe blow causing the illusion of brilliant streaks of light before the eyes: The blow on the head made him see stars, and the next thing he knew he was in the hospital. 17. thank one's lucky stars, to acknowledge one's good fortune; be grateful: Instead of complaining about hospital bills she should thank her lucky stars she's still alive.Also,thank one's stars.
—adj. 1. celebrated, prominent, or distinguished; preeminent: a star basketball player; a star reporter. 2. of or pertaining to a star or stars.
—v.t. 1. to set with or as with stars; spangle.
2. to feature as a star: an old movie starring Rudolph Valentino . 3. to mark with a star or asterisk, as for special notice.
—v.i. 1. to shine as a star; be brilliant or prominent.
2. (of a performer) to appear as a star: He starred in several productions of Shaw's plays.