Pronunciation: (stāt'munt),[key] —n. 1. something stated.
2. a communication or declaration in speech or writing, setting forth facts, particulars, etc.
3. a single sentence or assertion: I agree with everything you said except for your last statement. 4. Com.an abstract of an account, as one rendered to show the balance due.
5. an appearance of a theme, subject, or motif within a musical composition.
6. the act or manner of stating something.
7. the communication of an idea, position, mood, or the like through something other than words: The furniture in the room makes a statement about the occupant's love of color. Walking out of the meeting will be a statement of our refusal to submit. 8. Computers.an instruction or other elementary component in a high-level programming language.