Pronunciation: (stûr'ling),[key] —adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or noting British money: The sterling equivalent is£5.50. 2. (of silver) having the standard fineness of 0.925.
3. made of silver of this fineness: a sterling teapot. 4. thoroughly excellent: a man of sterling worth.
—n. 1. British currency.
2. the standard of fineness for gold and silver coin in the United Kingdom, 0.91666 for gold and 0.500 for silver.
3. Also called ster'ling sil'ver. silver having a fineness of 0.925, now used esp. in the manufacture of table utensils, jewelry, etc.
4. manufactured articles of sterling silver.
5. sterling flatware.
Pronunciation: (stûr'ling),[key] —n. 1. a city in NW Illinois. 16,273.
2. a city in NE Colorado. 11,385.
3. a male given name.