Pronunciation: (stOO, styOO),[key] —v.t. to cook (food) by simmering or slow boiling.
—v.i. 1. to undergo cooking by simmering or slow boiling.
2. Informal.to fret, worry, or fuss: He stewed about his chaotic state of affairs all day. 3. to feel uncomfortable due to a hot, humid, stuffy atmosphere, as in a closed room; swelter.
4. stew in one's own juice, to suffer the consequences of one's own actions.
—n. 1. a preparation of meat, fish, or other food cooked by stewing, esp. a mixture of meat and vegetables.
2. Informal.a state of agitation, uneasiness, or worry.
3. a brothel; whorehouse.
4. stews,a neighborhood occupied chiefly by brothels.
5. Obs.a vessel for boiling or stewing.