Pronunciation: (strāt),[key] —adj.-er, -est, —adv., n.
—adj. 1. without a bend, angle, or curve; not curved; direct: a straight path. 2. exactly vertical or horizontal; in a perfectly vertical or horizontal plane: a straight table. 3. (of a line) generated by a point moving at a constant velocity with respect to another point.
4. evenly or uprightly formed or set: straight shoulders. 5. without circumlocution; frank; candid: straight speaking. 6. honest, honorable, or upright, as conduct, dealings, methods, or persons.
7. Informal.reliable, as a report or information.
8. right or correct, as reasoning, thinking, or a thinker.
9. in the proper order or condition: Things are straight now. 10. continuous or unbroken: in straight succession. 11. thoroughgoing or unreserved: a straight Republican. 12. supporting or cast for all candidates of one political party: to vote a straight ticket. 13. unmodified or unaltered: a straight comedy. 14. without change in the original melody or tempo: She does straight songs, with just the piano backing her. 15. Informal. a. heterosexual.
b. traditional; conventional.
c. free from using narcotics.
d. not engaged in crime; law-abiding; reformed.
16. undiluted, as whiskey.
17. Theat.(of acting) straightforward; not striving for effect.
18. Journalism.written or to be written in a direct and objective manner, with no attempt at individual styling, comment, etc.: She gave me a straight story. Treat it as straight news. 19. Cards.containing cards in consecutive denominations, as a two, three, four, five, and six, in various suits.
—adv. 1. in a straight line: to walk straight. 2. in an even form or position: pictures hung straight. 3. in an erect posture: to stand up straight. 4. directly: to go straight to a place. 5. without circumlocution; frankly; candidly (often fol. by out).
6. honestly, honorably, or virtuously: to live straight. 7. without intricate involvement; not in a roundabout way; to the point.
8. in a steady course (often fol. by on): to keep straight on after the second traffic light. 9. into the proper form or condition; in order: to put a room straight. 10. in possession of the truth or of true ideas: I want to set you straight before you make mistakes. 11. sold without discount regardless of the quantity bought: Candy bars are twenty cents straight. 12. Journalism.directly and objectively: Write the circus story straight. 13. without personal embellishments, additions, etc.: Tell the story straight. Sing the song straight. 14. (of liquor) served or drunk without ice, a mixer, or water; neat: He drank his whiskey straight. 15. go straight,Informal.to live a law-abiding life; no longer engage in crime.
16. play it straight,Informal.to do something without jokes, tricks, subterfuge, distortions, or the like: a comedian who plays it straight when he crusades against drug abuse. 17. straight off, without delay; immediately: I told him straight off what I thought about the matter.Also,straight away. 18. straight up, (of a cocktail) served without ice: a gin martini straight up.
—n. 1. the condition of being straight.
2. a straight form or position.
3. a straight line.
4. a straight part, as of a racecourse.
5. Informal. a. a heterosexual.
b. a person who follows traditional or conventional mores.
c. a person who is free from narcotics.
6. Chiefly Games.a succession of strokes, plays, etc., which gives a perfect score.