—n. 1. a narrow strip of flexible material, esp. leather, as for fastening or holding things together.
2. a looped band by which an item may be held, pulled, lifted, etc., as a bootstrap or a ring that standing passengers may hold on to in a bus, subway, or the like.
3. a strop for a razor.
4. a long, narrow object or piece of something; strip; band.
5. an ornamental strip or band.
6. See shoulder strap. 7. watchband.
8. Mach.a shallow metal fitting surrounding and retaining other parts, as on the end of a rod. See diag. under exploded view. 9. Naut.,Mach.strop (def. 2).
—v.t. 1. to fasten or secure with a strap or straps.
2. to fasten (a thing) around something in the manner of a strap.
3. to sharpen on a strap or strop: to strap a razor. 4. to beat or flog with a strap.