—n. 1. an additional charge, tax, or cost.
2. an excessive sum or price charged.
3. an additional or excessive load or burden.
4. Philately. a. an overprint that alters or restates the face value or denomination of a stamp to which it has been applied.
b. a stamp bearing such an overprint.
5. act of surcharging.
—v.t. 1. to subject to an additional or extra charge, tax, cost, etc. (for payment).
2. to overcharge for goods.
3. to show an omission in (an account) of something that operates as a charge against the accounting party; to omit a credit toward (an account).
4. Philately.to print a surcharge on (a stamp).
5. to put an additional or excessive burden upon.