Pronunciation: (shoor'i-tē, shoor'tē, shûr'i-tē, shûr'tē),[key] —n., —pl.-ties. 1. security against loss or damage or for the fulfillment of an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.; a pledge, guaranty, or bond.
2. a person who has made himself or herself responsible for another, as a sponsor, godparent, or bondsman.
3. the state or quality of being sure.
5. something that makes sure; ground of confidence or safety.
6. a person who is legally responsible for the debt, default, or delinquency of another.
7. assurance, esp. self-assurance.