—n. 1. the outer face, outside, or exterior boundary of a thing; outermost or uppermost layer or area.
2. any face of a body or thing: the six surfaces of a cube. 3. extent or area of outer face; superficial area.
4. the outward appearance, esp. as distinguished from the inner nature: to look below the surface of a matter. 5. Geom.any figure having only two dimensions; part or all of the boundary of a solid.
6. land or sea transportation, rather than air, underground, or undersea transportation.
7. Aeron.an airfoil.
—adj. 1. of, on, or pertaining to the surface; external.
2. apparent rather than real; superficial: to be guilty of surface judgments. 3. of, pertaining to, or via land or sea: surface mail. 4. Ling.belonging to a late stage in the transformational derivation of a sentence; belonging to the surface structure.
—v.t. 1. to finish the surface of; give a particular kind of surface to; make even or smooth.
2. to bring to the surface; cause to appear openly: Depth charges surfaced the sub. So far we've surfaced no applicants.
—v.i. 1. to rise to the surface: The submarine surfaced after four days. 2. to work on or at the surface.