Pronunciation: (swēt'n),[key] —v.t. 1. to make sweet, as by adding sugar.
2. to make mild or kind; soften.
3. to lessen the acridity or pungency of (a food) by prolonged cooking.
4. to reduce the saltiness of (a food or dish) by diluting with water, milk, or other liquid.
5. to make (the breath, room air, etc.) sweet or fresh, as with a mouthwash, spray, etc.
6. (in musical recording) to add musical instruments to (an arrangement), esp. strings for a lusher sound.
7. Chem. a. to make (the stomach, soil, etc.) less acidic, as by means of certain preparations, chemicals, etc.
b. to remove sulfur and its compounds from (oil or gas).
8. Informal. a. to enhance the value of (loan collateral) by including additional or especially valuable securities.
b. to add to the value or attractiveness of (any proposition, holding, etc.).
9. to add more liquor to (an alcoholic drink).
10. Poker.to add stakes to (a pot) before opening.