—n. 1. an account or reckoning; a record of debit and credit, of the score of a game, or the like.
2. Also called tal'ly stick". a stick of wood with notches cut to indicate the amount of a debt or payment, often split lengthwise across the notches, the debtor retaining one piece and the creditor the other.
3. anything on which a score or account is kept.
4. a notch or mark made on or in a tally.
5. a number or group of items recorded.
6. a mark made to register a certain number of items, as four consecutive vertical lines with a diagonal line through them to indicate a group of five.
7. a number of objects serving as a unit of computation.
8. a ticket, label, or mark used as a means of identification, classification, etc.
9. anything corresponding to another thing as a counterpart or duplicate.
—v.t. 1. to mark or enter on a tally; register; record.
2. to count or reckon up.
3. to furnish with a tally or identifying label.
4. to cause to correspond or agree.
—v.i. 1. to correspond, as one part of a tally with the other; accord or agree: Does his story tally with hers? 2. to score a point or make a goal, as in a game.