Pronunciation: (tangk), [key]
1. a large receptacle, container, or structure for holding a liquid or gas: tanks for storing oil.
2. a natural or artificial pool, pond, or lake.
3. Mil.an armored, self-propelled combat vehicle, armed with cannon and machine guns and moving on a caterpillar tread.
4. Slang.a prison cell or enclosure for more than one occupant, as for prisoners awaiting a hearing.
5. See tank top.
6. go in the tank, Boxing Slang.to go through the motions of a match but deliberately lose because of an illicit prearrangement or fix; throw a fight.
1. to put or store in a tank.
2. tank up,
a. to fill the gas tank of an automobile or other motor vehicle.
b. Slang.to drink a great quantity of alcoholic beverage, esp. to intoxication.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.