—n. 1. a long, narrow strip of linen, cotton, or the like, used for tying garments, binding seams or carpets, etc.
2. a long, narrow strip of paper, metal, etc.
3. a strip of cloth, paper, or plastic with an adhesive surface, used for sealing, binding, or attaching items together; adhesive tape or masking tape.
4. See tape measure. 5. a string stretched across the finishing line in a race and broken by the winning contestant on crossing the line.
6. See ticker tape. 7. See magnetic tape. 8. a magnetic tape carrying prerecorded sound: a tape of a rock concert.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with a tape or tapes.
2. to tie up, bind, or attach with tape.
3. to measure with or as if with a tape measure.
4. to record or prerecord on magnetic tape.