Pronunciation: (tēm),[key] —n. 1. a number of persons forming one of the sides in a game or contest: a football team. 2. a number of persons associated in some joint action: a team of advisers. 3. two or more horses, oxen, or other animals harnessed together to draw a vehicle, plow, or the like.
4. one or more draft animals together with the harness and vehicle drawn.
5. a family of young animals, esp. ducks or pigs.
6. Obs.offspring or progeny; race or lineage.
—v.t. 1. to join together in a team.
2. Chiefly Northern U.S. Older Use.to convey or transport by means of a team; haul.
—v.i. 1. to drive a team.
2. to gather or join in a team, a band, or a cooperative effort (usually fol. by up, together, etc.).
—adj. of, pertaining to, or performed by a team: a team sport; team effort.