—n. 1. the visual and esp. tactile quality of a surface: rough texture. 2. the characteristic structure of the interwoven or intertwined threads, strands, or the like, that make up a textile fabric: coarse texture. 3. the characteristic physical structure given to a material, an object, etc., by the size, shape, arrangement, and proportions of its parts: soil of a sandy texture; a cake with a heavy texture. 4. an essential or characteristic quality; essence.
5. Fine Arts. a. the characteristic visual and tactile quality of the surface of a work of art resulting from the way in which the materials are used.
b. the imitation of the tactile quality of represented objects.
6. the quality given, as to a musical or literary work, by the combination or interrelation of parts or elements.
7. a rough or grainy surface quality.
8. anything produced by weaving; woven fabric.
—v.t. 1. to give texture or a particular texture to.
2. to make by or as if by weaving.