Pronunciation: (thrash),[key] —v.t. 1. to beat soundly in punishment; flog.
2. to defeat thoroughly: The home team thrashed the visitors. 3. Naut.to force (a close-hauled sailing ship under heavy canvas) against a strong wind or sea.
—v.i. 1. to toss, or plunge about.
2. Naut.to make way against the wind, tide, etc.; beat.
4. thrash out or over,to talk over thoroughly and vigorously in order to reach a decision, conclusion, or understanding; discuss exhaustively.
—n. 1. an act or instance of thrashing; beating; blow.
3. Swimming.the upward and downward movement of the legs, as in the crawl.
4. Brit. Slang.a party, usually with drinks.