—n. 1. Also called throttle lever. a lever, pedal, handle, etc., for controlling or manipulating a throttle valve.
2. See throttle valve. 3. the throat, gullet, or windpipe, as of a horse.
4. at full throttle, at maximum speed.
—v.t. 1. to stop the breath of by compressing the throat; strangle.
2. to choke or suffocate in any way.
3. to compress by fastening something tightly around.
4. to silence or check as if by choking: His message was throttled by censorship. 5. Mach. a. to obstruct or check the flow of (a fluid), as to control the speed of an engine.
b. to reduce the pressure of (a fluid) by passing it from a smaller area to a larger one.