—n. 1. a pin, bolt, or rod placed transversely through a chain, an eye or loop in a rope, etc., as to bind it temporarily to another chain or rope similarly treated.
2. a toggle joint, or a device having one.
3. an ornamental, rod-shaped button for inserting into a large buttonhole, loop, or frog, used esp. on sports clothes.
4. Theat. a. Also called tog'gle rail". a wooden batten across the width of a flat, for strengthening the frame.
b. Also called tog'gle i"ron. a metal device for fastening a toggle rail to a frame.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with a toggle.
2. to bind or fasten with a toggle.
3. Informal.to turn, twist, or manipulate a toggle switch; dial or turn the switch of (an appliance): He toggled the TV between the baseball game and the news.