Pronunciation: (tō'nur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that tones.
2. a highly concentrated organic pigment containing little or no inert matter.
3. a powder, either dry or dispersed in an organic liquid, used in xerography to produce the final image.
4. Also called chemical toner.Photog.,Motion Pictures.a chemical solution used to change the color of and, in some cases, help preserve black-and-white prints and motion-picture film by altering or replacing the silver image.
5. a worker for a paint manufacturer who tests the color and quality of paint.
6. a cosmetic preparation, usually a liquid, used to restore firmness to the skin.