—n. 1. the highest or loftiest point or part of anything; apex; summit.
2. the uppermost or upper part, surface, etc., of anything.
3. the higher end of anything on a slope.
4. Brit. a. a part considered as higher: the top of the street. b. high gear of an automobile.
5. tops, a. the part of a plant that grows above ground, esp. of an edible root.
b. one of the tender tips of the branches or shoots of plants.
6. the part of anything that is first or foremost; beginning: Let's go over it from the top again. 7. the highest or leading place, position, rank, etc.: at the top of the class. 8. the highest point, pitch, or degree: to talk at the top of one's voice. 9. a person or thing that occupies the highest or leading position.
10. the best or choicest part: the top of all creation. 11. a covering or lid, as of a container or vehicle.
12. the head.
13. any of various outer garments for the upper body, as a blouse, shirt, or sweater: a sale on cotton tops and shorts. 14. Naut.a platform surrounding the head of a lower mast on a ship, and serving as a foothold, a means of extending the upper rigging, etc.
15. Chem.the part of a mixture under distillation that volatilizes first.
16. Bridge. a. the best card of a suit in a player's hand.
b. (in duplicate bridge) the best score on a hand.
17. Sports. a. a stroke that hits the ball above its center.
b. the forward spin given to the ball by such a stroke.
18. Baseball. a. the first half of an inning.
b. the first three batters in the batting order.
19. Textiles. a. a cluster of textile fibers, esp. tow, put on a distaff.
b. a strand of the long wool fibers in sliver form, separated from noil by combing and wound into a large ball.
c. a similar strand of rayon.
20. Jewelry.crown (def. 27).
21. blow one's top,Informal. a. to become enraged; lose one's temper.
b. to go mad; become insane: He must have blown his top to make such a fool of himself. 22. off the top of one's head,Informal.See head (def. 56).
23. on top, successful; victorious; dominant: to stay on top. 24. on top of, a. over or upon.
b. in addition to; over and above.
c. close upon; following upon: Gale winds came on top of the floods. d. in complete control: on top of the problem. 25. on top of the world, a. successful.
b. elated: The success made her feel on top of the world. 26. over the top, a. Mil.over the top of the parapet before a trench, as in issuing to charge against the enemy.
b. surpassing a goal, quota, or limit.
27. the tops,Informal.the most outstanding person or thing in ability, favor, etc.: As a friend, she's the tops.
—adj. 1. pertaining to, situated at, or forming the top; highest; uppermost; upper: the top shelf. 2. highest in degree; greatest: to pay top prices. 3. foremost, chief, or principal: to win top honors in a competition.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with a top; put a top on.
2. to be at or constitute the top of.
3. to reach the top of.
4. to rise above: The sun had topped the horizon. 5. to exceed in height, amount, number, etc.
6. to surpass, excel, or outdo: That tops everything. 7. Theat.(in spoken dialogue) to reply in a voice of greater volume or higher pitch: King Henry must top the crowd noises in his St. Crispin's Day speech. 8. to surmount with something specified: to top a sundae with whipped cream. 9. to remove the top of; crop; prune: to top a tall tree. 10. to get or leap over the top of (a fence, barrier, etc.).
11. Chem.to distill off only the most volatile part of (a mixture).
12. Sports. a. to strike (the ball) above its center, giving it a forward spin.
b. to make (a stroke) by hitting the ball in this manner.
13. to top-dress (land).
14. Obs.to have coitus with (a woman).
—v.i. 1. to rise aloft.
2. top off,to climax or complete, esp. in an exceptional manner; finish: They topped off the evening with a ferryboat ride at midnight. 3. top out, a. to finish the top of (a structure).
b. to reach the highest level.
Pronunciation: (top),[key] —n. 1. a toy, often inversely conical, with a point on which it is made to spin.
2. sleep like a top, to sleep soundly: After a day of hiking and swimming we slept like tops.