—n. 1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.
3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5. a cause of severe pain or anguish.
—v.t. 1. to subject to torture.
2. to afflict with severe pain of body or mind: My back is torturing me. 3. to force or extort by torture: We'll torture the truth from his lips! 4. to twist, force, or bring into some unnatural position or form: trees tortured by storms. 5. to distort or pervert (language, meaning, etc.).