Pronunciation: (tran'shunt, -zhunt, -zē-unt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/transient.html on line 77 [key]
1. not lasting, enduring, or permanent; transitory.
2. lasting only a short time; existing briefly; temporary: transient authority.
3. staying only a short time: the transient guests at a hotel.
1. a person or thing that is transient, esp. a temporary guest, boarder, laborer, or the like.
a. a function that tends to zero as the independent variable tends to infinity.
b. a solution, esp. of a differential equation, having this property.
a. a nonperiodic signal of short duration.
b. a decaying signal, wave, or oscillation.
4. Elect.a sudden pulse of voltage or current.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.