Pronunciation: (trans"pur-tā'shun), [key]
1. the act of transporting.
2. the state of being transported.
3. the means of transport or conveyance.
4. the business of conveying people, goods, etc.
5. price of travel or transport by public conveyance; fare.
6. tickets or permits for transport or travel.
7. banishment, as of a criminal to a penal colony; deportation.
8. (cap.) Also called Transporta'tion Depart"ment. Informal.the Department of Transportation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.