Pronunciation: (trīb),[key] —n. 1. any aggregate of people united by ties of descent from a common ancestor, community of customs and traditions, adherence to the same leaders, etc.
2. a local division of an aboriginal people.
3. a division of some other people.
4. a class or type of animals, plants, articles, or the like.
5. Animal Husb.a group of animals, esp. cattle, descended through the female line from a common female ancestor.
6. Biol. a. a category in the classification of organisms usually between a subfamily and a genus or sometimes between a suborder and a family.
b. any group of plants or animals.
7. a company, group, or number of persons.
8. a class or set of persons, esp. one with strong common traits or interests.
9. a large family.
10. Rom. Hist. a. any one of three divisions of the people representing the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan settlements.
b. any of the later political divisions of the people.
11. Gk. Hist.a phyle.