—adj. 1. threefold; consisting of three parts: a triple knot. 2. of three kinds; threefold in character or relationship.
3. three times as great.
4. Internat. Law.tripartite.
—n. 1. an amount, number, etc., three times as great as another.
2. a group, set, or series of three; something threefold; triad.
3. Also called three-base hit.Baseball.a base hit that enables a batter to reach third base safely.
4. Bowling.three strikes in succession.
—v.t. 1. to make triple.
2. Baseball.to cause to come into home plate by a triple: to triple a runner home; to triple a run in.
—v.i. 1. to become triple.
2. Baseball.to make a triple.