Pronunciation: (trum'pit),[key] —n. 1. Music. a. any of a family of brass wind instruments with a powerful, penetrating tone, consisting of a tube commonly curved once or twice around on itself and having a cup-shaped mouthpiece at one end and a flaring bell at the other.
b. an organ stop having a tone resembling that of a trumpet.
c. a trumpeter.
2. something used as or resembling a trumpet, esp. in sound.
3. a sound like that of a trumpet.
4. the loud shrill cry of an animal, esp. an elephant.
5. See ear trumpet. 6. trumpets,any of several pitcher plants of the southeastern U.S.
—v.i. 1. to blow a trumpet.
2. to emit a loud, trumpetlike cry, as an elephant.
—v.t. 1. to sound on a trumpet.
2. to utter with a sound like that of a trumpet.
3. to proclaim loudly or widely.