—n. 1. either of two children or animals brought forth at a birth.
2. either of two persons or things closely related to or closely resembling each other.
3. See twin bed. 4. Also called twin room. a type of hotel accommodation with twin beds, for occupancy by two persons. Cf. double (def. 13).
5. Also called hemitrope.Crystall.a compound crystal consisting of two or more parts or crystals definitely oriented each to the other; macle.
6. Twins,Astron.,Astrol.the constellation or sign of Gemini.
—adj. 1. being a twin or twins: twin sisters. 2. being two persons or things closely related to or closely resembling each other.
3. being one of a pair; identical: a twin bracelet; a twin peak. 4. consisting of two similar parts or elements joined or connected: a twin vase. 5. Bot.,Zool.occurring in pairs; didymous.
6. Crystall.of the nature of a twin; hemitrope.
7. twofold or double.
—v.t. 1. to bring together in close relationship; pair; couple.
2. to furnish a counterpart to or a replica of; match.
3. Informal.to divide or convert into two, parts, similar items, etc.: The old movie palace will be twinned, making two smaller theaters. 4. Informal.to link or combine with: The new grocery store is twinned with a restaurant. 5. Crystall.to form into a twin.
6. Obs.to give birth to as twins.
—v.i. 1. to give birth to twins.
2. to be paired or coupled.