—v.i. 1. to shine with a flickering gleam of light, as a star or distant light.
2. to sparkle in the light: The diamond on her finger twinkled in the firelight. 3. (of the eyes) to be bright with amusement, pleasure, etc.
4. to move flutteringly and quickly, as flashes of light; flit.
5. Archaic.to wink; blink.
—v.t. 1. to emit (light) in intermittent gleams or flashes.
2. Archaic.to wink (the eyes or eyelids).
—n. 1. a flickering or intermittent brightness or light.
2. a scintillating brightness in the eyes; sparkle.
3. the time required for a wink; twinkling.
4. Archaic.a wink.