Pronunciation: (val'yOO), [key]
—n., v., -ued, -u•ing.
1. relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.
2. monetary or material worth, as in commerce or trade: This piece of land has greatly increased in value.
3. the worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged or in terms of some medium of exchange.
4. equivalent worth or return in money, material, services, etc.: to give value for value received.
5. estimated or assigned worth; valuation: a painting with a current value of $500,000.
6. denomination, as of a monetary issue or a postage stamp.
a. magnitude; quantity; number represented by a figure, symbol, or the like: the value of an angle; the value of x; the value of a sum.
b. a point in the range of a function; a point in the range corresponding to a given point in the domain of a function: The value of x 2 at 2 is 4.
8. import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word.
9. liking or affection; favorable regard.
10. values, Sociol.the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.
11. Ethics.any object or quality desirable as a means or as an end in itself.
12. Fine Arts.
a. degree of lightness or darkness in a color.
b. the relation of light and shade in a painting, drawing, or the like.
13. Music.the relative length or duration of a tone signified by a note.
14. values, Mining.the marketable portions of an orebody.
b. the phonetic equivalent of a letter, as the sound of a in hat, sang, etc.
1. to calculate or reckon the monetary value of; give a specified material or financial value to; assess; appraise: to value their assets.
2. to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance.
3. to regard or esteem highly: He values her friendship.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.