Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-u-bul),[key] —adj. 1. apt or liable to vary or change; changeable: variable weather; variable moods. 2. capable of being varied or changed; alterable: a variable time limit for completion of a book. 3. inconstant; fickle: a variable lover. 4. having much variation or diversity.
5. Biol.deviating from the usual type, as a species or a specific character.
6. Astron.(of a star) changing in brightness.
7. Meteorol.(of wind) tending to change in direction.
8. Math.having the nature or characteristics of a variable.
—n. 1. something that may or does vary; a variable feature or factor.
2. Math.,Computers. a. a quantity or function that may assume any given value or set of values.
b. a symbol that represents this.
3. Logic.(in the functional calculus) a symbol for an unspecified member of a class of things or statements. Cf. bound variable, free variable. 4. Astron.See variable star. 5. Meteorol. a. a shifting wind, esp. as distinguished from a trade wind.
b. variables,doldrums (def. 2a).