Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-uns),[key] —n. 1. the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
2. an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy.
3. Also called mean square deviation.Statistics.the square of the standard deviation.
4. Physics,Chem.the number of degrees of freedom of a system.
5. Law. a. a difference or discrepancy, as between two statements or documents in law that should agree.
b. a departure from the cause of action originally stated in the complaint.
6. an official permit to do something normally forbidden by regulations, esp. by building in a way or for a purpose normally forbidden by a zoning law or a building code.
7. a disagreement, dispute, or quarrel.
8. at variance, a. (of things) in a state of difference or disagreement.
b. (of persons) in a state of controversy or dissension: at variance with one's superiors.