Pronunciation: (vē'i-kul or, sometimes, vē'hi-),[key] —n. 1. any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport: a motor vehicle; space vehicles. 2. a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.
3. a means of transmission or passage: Air is the vehicle of sound. 4. a carrier, as of infection.
5. a medium of communication, expression, or display: The novel is a fitting vehicle for his talents. Language is the vehicle of thought. 6. Theat.,Motion Pictures.a play, screenplay, or the like, having a role suited to the talents of and often written for a specific performer.
7. a means of accomplishing a purpose: College is a vehicle for success. 8. Rhet.the thing or idea to which the subject of a metaphor is compared, as “rose” in “she is a rose.” Cf. tenor (def. 3).
9. Pharm.a substance, usually fluid, possessing little or no medicinal action, used as a medium for active remedies.
10. Painting.a liquid, as oil, in which a pigment is mixed before being applied to a surface.