Pronunciation: (vu-nēr'),[key] —n. 1. a thin layer of wood or other material for facing or inlaying wood.
2. any of the thin layers of wood glued together to form plywood.
3. Building Trades.a facing of a certain material applied to a different one or to a type of construction not ordinarily associated with it, as a facing of brick applied to a frame house.
4. a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance: a cruel person with a veneer of kindliness.
—v.t. 1. to overlay or face (wood) with thin sheets of some material, as a fine wood, ivory, or tortoise shell.
2. to face or cover (an object) with any material that is more desirable as a surface material than the basic material of the object; revet.
3. to cement (layers of wood veneer) to form plywood.
4. to give a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance to.