—n. 1. (not in technical use) a stanza.
2. a succession of metrical feet written, printed, or orally composed as one line; one of the lines of a poem.
3. a particular type of metrical line: a hexameter verse. 4. a poem, or piece of poetry.
5. metrical composition; poetry, esp. as involving metrical form.
6. metrical writing distinguished from poetry because of its inferior quality: a writer of verse, not poetry. 7. a particular type of metrical composition: elegiac verse. 8. the collective poetry of an author, period, nation, etc.: Miltonian verse; American verse. 9. one of the short conventional divisions of a chapter of the Bible.
10. Music. a. that part of a song following the introduction and preceding the chorus.
b. a part of a song designed to be sung by a solo voice.
11. Rare.a line of prose, esp. a sentence, or part of a sentence, written as one line.
12. Rare.a subdivision in any literary work.
—adj. of, pertaining to, or written in verse: a verse play.