Pronunciation: (vīl), [key]
—adj., vil•er, vil•est.
1. wretchedly bad: a vile humor.
2. highly offensive, unpleasant, or objectionable: vile slander.
3. repulsive or disgusting, as to the senses or feelings: a vile odor.
4. morally debased, depraved, or despicable: vile deeds.
5. foul; filthy: vile language.
6. poor; wretched: vile workmanship.
7. of mean or low condition: a vile beggar.
8. menial; lowly: vile tasks.
9. degraded; ignominious: vile servitude.
10. of little value or account; paltry: a vile recompense.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.