Pronunciation: (vûr'jin),[key] —n. 1. a person who has never had sexual intercourse.
2. an unmarried girl or woman.
3. Eccles.an unmarried, religious woman, esp. a saint.
4. the Virgin,Mary, the mother of Christ.
5. Informal.any person who is uninitiated, uninformed, or the like: He's still a virgin as far as hard work is concerned. 6. a female animal that has never copulated.
7. an unfertilized insect.
8. (cap.) Astron.,Astrol.the constellation or sign of Virgo.
—adj. 1. being a virgin: a virgin martyr. 2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a virgin: virgin modesty. 3. pure; unsullied; undefiled: virgin snow. 4. first: the senator's virgin speech. 5. without admixture, alloy, or modification: virgin gold. 6. not previously exploited, cultivated, tapped, or used: virgin timberlands; virgin wool. 7. without experience of; not previously exposed to: a mind virgin to such sorrows. 8. Informal.being a mixed drink resembling a specific cocktail but made without any alcoholic ingredient: a virgin piña colada. 9. Zool.not fertilized.
10. (of a metal) made directly from ore by smelting, rather than from scrap.
11. noting the oil obtained, as from olives, by the first pressing without the application of heat.