—v.t. 1. to make vocal; utter; articulate; sing.
2. to endow with a voice; cause to utter.
3. Phonet. a. to voice.
b. to change into a vowel (contrasted with consonantalize).
4. (of Hebrew, Arabic, and other writing systems that do not usually indicate vowels) to furnish with vowels or vowel points.
—v.i. 1. to use the voice, as in speech or song.
2. to sing without uttering words, esp. to warm up the voice, practice vowel sounds, etc., before a performance.
3. to sing scales, arpeggios, trills, or the like, usually to a solmization syllable or a vowel sound.
4. Phonet.to become changed into a vowel. Also,esp. Brit.,vocalise.