—n. 1. the simultaneous discharge of a number of missiles or firearms.
2. the missiles so discharged.
3. a burst or outpouring of many things at once or in quick succession: a volley of protests. 4. Tennis. a. the flight of the ball before it hits the ground.
b. the return of the ball before it hits the ground.
5. Soccer.a kick of the ball before it bounces on the ground.
6. Cricket.a ball so bowled that it hits the wicket before it touches the ground.
7. Mining.the explosion of several charges at one time.
—v.t. 1. to discharge in or as in a volley.
2. Tennis.to return (the ball) before it hits the ground.
3. Soccer.to kick (the ball) before it bounces on the ground.
4. Cricket.to bowl (a ball) in such a manner that it is pitched near the top of the wicket.
—v.i. 1. to fly or be discharged together, as missiles.
2. to move or proceed with great rapidity, as in a volley.
3. to fire a volley; sound together, as firearms.
4. Tennis,Soccer.to return the ball before it touches the ground.