Pronunciation: (wāl),[key] —v.i. 1. to utter a prolonged, inarticulate, mournful cry, usually high-pitched or clear-sounding, as in grief or suffering: to wail with pain. 2. to make mournful sounds, as music or the wind.
3. to lament or mourn bitterly.
4. Jazz.to perform exceptionally well.
5. Slang.to express emotion musically or verbally in an exciting, satisfying way.
—v.t. 1. to express deep sorrow for; mourn; lament; bewail: to wail the dead; to wail one's fate. 2. to express in wailing; cry or say in lamentation: to wail one's grief.
—n. 1. the act of wailing.
2. a wailing cry, as of grief, pain, or despair.
3. any similar mournful sound: the wail of an old tune.