Pronunciation: (wāst),[key] —n. 1. the part of the body in humans between the ribs and the hips, usually the narrowest part of the torso.
2. the part of a garment covering this part of the body.
3. blouse (def. 1).
4. the part of a one-piece garment covering the body from the neck or shoulders more or less to the waistline, esp. this part of a woman's or child's garment.
5. a child's undergarment to which other articles of apparel may be attached.
6. the part of an object, esp. a central or middle part, that resembles or is analogous to the human waist: the waist of a violin. 7. Naut.the central part of a ship; that part of the deck between the forecastle and the quarterdeck.
8. the constricted portion of the abdomen of certain insects, as a wasp.