Pronunciation: (web'ing),[key] —n. 1. a strong, woven material of hemp, cotton, or jute, in bands of various widths, used for belts, carrying straps, harness, etc.
2. such woven bands nailed on furniture under springs or upholstery, for support.
3. Zool.the membrane forming a web or webs.
4. something resembling this, as the leather thongs or piece connecting the sections for the thumb and forefinger in a baseball glove or mitt.
5. any material or part formed from interlaced threads, thongs, branches, etc., or having a latticelike appearance, as the face of a tennis racket.
6. webbings,Chiefly Eastern New Eng. Older Use.the reins or lines for controlling a horse or team of horses.