Pronunciation: (rī'ting),[key] —n. 1. the act of a person or thing that writes.
2. written form: to commit one's thoughts to writing. 3. that which is written; characters or matter written with a pen or the like: His writing is illegible. 4. such characters or matter with respect to style, kind, quality, etc.
5. an inscription.
6. a letter.
7. any written or printed paper, as a document or deed.
8. literary or musical style, form, quality, technique, etc.: Her writing is stilted. 9. a literary composition or production.
10. the profession of a writer: He turned to writing at an early age. 11. the Writings,Hagiographa.
12. writing on the wall. See handwriting (def. 4).