Pronunciation: (eks),[key] —n., —pl.X's or Xs, x's or xs. 1. the 24th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound or combination of sounds represented by the letter X or x, as in xylene, box, or exact. 3. something having the shape of an X. 4. a written or printed representation of the letter X or x. 5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter X or x.
Pronunciation: (eks),[key] —v.t.,x-ed or x'dPronunciation: (ekst),[key]x-ing or x'ingPronunciation: (ek'sing).[key] 1. to cross out or mark with or as if with an x (often fol. by out): to x out an error. 2. to indicate choice, as on a ballot or examination (often fol. by in): to x in the candidate of your choice.
—Symbol. 1. the 24th in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the 23rd.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the Roman numeral for 10. Cf. Roman numerals. 3. Christ.
7. Slang.a ten-dollar bill.
8. (in the U.S.) a rating of the Motion Picture Association of America for movies with subject matter that is suitable for adults only: persons who are under age (usually 17) will not be admitted. Cf. G (def. 7), PG, PG-13, R (def. 5).
9. (in Great Britain) a designation for a film recommended for adults only. Cf. A (def. 11), AA (def. 5), U (def. 5).
10. a person, thing, agency, factor, etc., of unknown identity.
11. Chem.(formerly) xenon.
1. ex1 (def. 1).
3. Stock Exchange. a. (of stock trading) ex dividend.
b. (of bond trading) See ex interest. 4. experimental.
—Symbol. 1. an unknown quantity or a variable.
2. (used at the end of letters, telegrams, etc., to indicate a kiss.)
3. (used to indicate multiplication) times: 8 × 8=64. 4. (used between figures indicating dimensions) by: 3" × 4" (read: “three by four inches”); 3" × 4" × 5" (read: “three by four by five inches”).
5. power of magnification: a 50x telescope. 6. (used as a signature by an illiterate person.)
8. crossed with.
9. (used to indicate a particular place or point on a map or diagram.)
10. out of; foaled by: a colt by Flag-a-way x Merrylegs. 11. (used to indicate choice, as on a ballot, examination, etc.)
12. (used to indicate an error or incorrect answer, as on a test.)
13. Math.(in Cartesian coordinates) the x-axis.
15. a person, thing, agency, factor, etc., of unknown identity.